Themed Rooms- Old Hollywood

We tend to love the ‘Old Hollywood’ theme. It has a true glamour to it that finds a way in helping us escape modern realities and make us feel like stars in our own life.  What is ‘Old Hollywood’? Old Hollywood portrays this extravagant lifestyle of how the star’s from the late 40’s to 70’s lived. Common attributes of this themed decor include; darker and richer colours, expensive fabrics, gold’s, dark metals, coordinating prints and luxurious textures.  ‘Old Hollywood’ is romantic, chivalrous, and legendary. People are so drawn to this theme for another reason besides luxury; their favourite legendary screen player.  Some stars became legends more than others and some stars are still living on after their passing through interior decor. We have all seen the James Dean framed posters, the Audrey Hepburn canvas prints, the Marilyn Monroe Warhol prints, and Elvis memorabilia, which so many people cherish because they are such legends. It is so easy to find the popular faces, but what about the legends and faces that you can’t buy printed on canvas at Ikea? This is when you get creative.
My personal legend is Steve McQueen. He is the true Hollywood rebel in his own right with such hits as 'The Great Escape', 'Bullitt''Papillion', and hit television series, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive'.  Rarely do I ever see him in art or any other type of memorabilia so I took matters into my own hands and created my own art.
Warhol inspiration and paint
Grade 11 art class I created my own take on the Andy Warhol style using McQueens image from the 'Bullet' movie poster and created this.  Turned out to be my favourite piece of art I will ever own, I will love it forever (also helps that I did it myself!). The point: have fun with paint, doesn’t need to be too fancy.


Framed magazine article
Black and whites of awesome poses and quotes are something you should never say no to. I found this one in a magazine and framed it.


Coffee tables
Biographies, especially if they are full of pictures, are great to display on coffee tables. They make the space more personal and start conversations.

Display your classics
Display classic movies, hide 'White Chicks' and 'Dude, where's my car?', and instantly impress guests with your interest in the classics.

You don’t have to make a shrine, you can do as little or as much as you’d like.  Spread throughout the house shows continuity and all in one room creates a personal sanctuary.  So whether you love Humphrey Bogart, Lucille Ball, Dean Martin or even Bruce Lee,  there is art out there- you just have to get creative and ‘Do-It-Yourself’!

Comments