The British Invasion

That’s right, another round of British invasion!
No, I don’t mean The Beatles or The Clash or the Spice Girls (unfortunately), I mean the trend right now with the all-mighty Union Jack.  I’ve seen so many British influences in stores and in designs lately that I’m going to conclude we have another trend on our hands- and I am on board! I have always been a fan of the British style, particularly the more popularized images from Britain such as the Union Jack, the London Bridge, their red phone booths and double-decker buses, the Royal Guard, the statuesque crown, and of course the royal sons, William and Harry. Whether these images are on canvas, loomed into wool rugs, or made into wall mural and sofas, I am noticing the trend become popular caused from a number of factors.
 First factor: The Royal Wedding.  I personally have become so interested with the wedding that it feels like I’m actually going to be there and if I feel like that, there are thousands, if not millions of others sharing that same feeling/obsession.
Second factor: The Olympics. Oh yea, we almost forgot that they were being held in London next year. Global events that bring the world together have a strong impact on both fashion design and interior design.
Third Factor: Hollywood. The Kings Speech took control at both the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards this year, in fact it took over the box offices for a long while with sold out shows from Christmas day to February. When a very successful English movie, about the King of England’s attempt to control his personal problems while rising to the thrown at the start of the second World War, naturally it strikes up some curiosity. 
Fourth Factor: The British Commonwealth. We will always have our ties to the crown, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health.
Without further ado, here are some popular sites I have been seeing around town...


London Collage found at Urban Barn

Remember the UpCountry sofa at IDS 11?
Again, an Elte rug at IDS 11.


A fun piece of art I bought the other day at Home Sense.

My personal daily planner for my very busy, busy schedule, found at Indigo.
A tea towel I found at a Flamborough fleamarket about a year and a half ago.

 This style is obviously acquired, according to your heritage. I have British heritage, a few generations ago, so I’m more accepting of this trend as opposed to a person of a different background. Maybe it isn’t even my heritage but more so the regal style of the crown or the coat of arms or the flag that appeal to my more formal sense of style. What I do know for sure is that this is a trend alert.

Comments