It is a small list right now but as the year goes on, more jobs and opportunities will come up. As of right now, my list of things to do:
- Second floor bathroom. I plan to give this room a complete surface makover while still working with what I have in there already ie. the shower, toilet, sink and existing laminate flooring.
- A whicker chair that is begging for a new coat of paint and new seat cushion
- Find new peices of furniture to recover and sell
- A table lamp that will get a completely new look
- Complete more classes towards my Interior Decorating Certificate
|The bathroom, the chair, and the lamp.|
Making sure the job gets done:
- Budget. Knowing what a peice is worth and how much I can sell it for is key when redoing furniture. Also taking into consideration the price of materials.
- Time frame. I have said it before and I will say it again, SET A TIMEFRAME. This goes for any project. If you are hiring someone, sign a contract with dates put into it and if you are doing it yourself, do the project during a time that is good for you. For my own projects, I haven\t set a specific start time for the bathroom yet but I plan to have it done by the spring, hopefully before, just in time for the good weather. Once the good weather hits, it is time to start refinishing!
- Decorative fabrics. Last year I sewed 4 toss cushions for my sisters wedding present and I found that the project was quite simple once I got a hang of how to use the sewing machine. This year I would like to sew more pillows using decorative fabrics and also sew some drapery panels. That being said, I would also like to learn how to sew better.
- Organic look. I love the raw wood look that is making its comeback. Natural finishes have caught my eye and I plan stain more peices of furniture. I had stained a small pedestal table back in the summer and I found that staining was a lot easier than painting, but of course it all depends on the surface.
Happy New Years!